Thursday, December 14, 2006

Istanbul Xmas Trees





Can someone tell me what this is all about?
These things seem to be sprouting from the ground all over the place.

I have asked my students, but despite not being able to give me an accurate definition of what xmas is, they affirm that these are "new years trees". They put presents under them which they exchange at the turn of the year.

Now I lived in Thailand, where they seemed to celebrate this christian rip-off of the pagan winter holiday with more gusto and less understanding but here the practice of putting up trees with festive decorations seems far more virulent here.

It may be left over from the previous christan inhabitants of this much fought over piece of land. That was a thousand years ago however,and they lost.

Most of my students have said that it was common in their childhood and were quite surprised when told it was a practice significant to many christian sects.

Who knows? Any input would be appreciated.




Photos taken at EF Levent.

No comments: